Friday, May 13, 2011

White man can dance. Just listen to the Africans!

Today there was a party. One of the NGOs called "Nonviolent Peaceforce" has been in Mundri 1 year today so they had an anniversary party. So I got invited to the supper which was a beautiful meal when you are used to eating bread, beans, and some vegetable that would be very appetizing to most rabbits. Then this party was followed by dancing.

First, if I can just interupt the danging story to mention something about party music here in Southern Sudan. You remember when you got your electronic keyboard for $89.99 for a super value price and it had the demo track that repeats itself every 4 bars? When I was little, I loved that track. The local people here are way more authentic than using a demo track. Instead they jam it out themselves. This tune is usually played in church, at funerals, and anywhere else that needs a soundtrack really. Pretty cool, it's like reliving my childhood. (I am trying to sound like it doesn't drive me crazy if you didn't pick that up by the way :)

Anyways, so the dancing began to this all too familiar tune. I figured, if you can't beat 'em, join 'em. So I started pretty mellow. Then I slowly "busted a move" Canadian Style. Well, maybe just Adam style...not really ever sure. But anyways, long story short, when I was walking home with my friend Ida at the end of the night, she told me, "People were laughing at you."

"Why? I didn't try to do anything funny. I was just dancing," I said laughing back to her.

"No, it was fine!" (there is that fine word again that really means good) "Even me, I was trying to dance like you were dancing Adam."

haha, I laughed. Go figure, the truth is, all my life I have been trying to figure out how to carry beat and dance like African people. Now they are trying to dance like me. And I tell you this story to make you laugh because that is what I did. It DOES NOT mean that next time you see me you will say, "So, let's see some of these moves Adam." (cough cough...mother....cough cough). I love you mom, but that is totally what you would do and you can't deny it :)

As far as the project progress here, in brief we are still targeting the clans of Greater Mundri and aiming to build a school. However, after some discussion with other people and NGOs, we have realized that targeting orphans specifically is actually not strategic according to the culture and the development need. (One day, I can tell you why over coffee but the details don't make a good blog). Instead we are aiming to just target CSNBEs. That is Children Susceptible to No Basic Education, or at least that is the terminology that we have coined for now to include not only orphans, but those who simply are needing education. Anyways, that is the most major update, just so you know. OH! And my new home in Mundri (for next time when I come and for other foreigners) is being built. It is a mud house but it will have iron sheets for roofing. Here, take a look at it so far...

Prayer List
1) First and foremost, please pray for rain. Should have been raining a while ago and people are going to go hungry this year. Drought is not a pretty sight.
2) Pray for the Internally Displaced People that are a couple hours North from here. I have heard from the NGOs that the estimation for food security aid for these people is pushing 1 year because their houses have been burned and their crops have been destroyed in the tribal clashes. War sucks man.
3) Pray that I finish in Mundri well. I am finished here in 10 days when I will be making my way back to Juba and then Kenya.

3 comments:

  1. Adam, I love it! This post made me laugh out loud - I totally understand being laughed at as the only muzungu at a dance party. And, yes, it seems the same beat works for everything!
    You know that your Mom is totally going to want to see those dance moves! :)
    Cannot wait to see you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ever seen Elaine from Sinefeld dance? That's the visual! You can have some of our rain. Maybe YOU could pray for our rain and we will pray that YOU get our rain! Safe travels...fave naybur

    ReplyDelete
  3. Self-fulfilling prophecy -- likely to actually happen ... especially with help!
    Mom

    ReplyDelete