Monday, May 16, 2011

A Beautiful Moment

I know I have talked a lot about ice cream in this blog, but it seems that distance has made my heart grow hungrier. So let me devote this one to ice cream completely and a beautiful moment that might my favourite-est memory yet.

One of the Americans named Scott who lives in Mundri has an ice cream maker with their organization. Whoa whoa, a what?! I didn't know you could get that as a commoner. Well mom, that one goes on the birthday wish list. Anyways, so as I explained in a previous post, that I had the opportunity to treat Paul to his first ice cream. He asked me at that time, "Can I be able to make it with this ice cream from Juba to take to my children?" I had to explain how this melts quickly. (The concept of cold food and frozen anything here is far from the average Moru persons' mind). Long story short, I wanted to still give ice cream to his family so Scott took me to his compound today to make a very delicious chocolate flavour. So I took it to his house as fast as I could before it melted making sure that everyone was already prepared to eat it when I arrived so that it would be real ice cream and not soup.

Now as I said, the concept of frozen food is a foreign idea. So the people confidently took a spoon and dug in. I will let the pictures show the expressions of a few faces.
The ice cream in the middle (look at that girl brace herself...haha I love it!)

Not such a tough guy now are you

This one is priceless. She just put it in her mouth. Might be my favourite picture of the trip.

We have a winner! He loves it :) (So does the girl beside her I am guessing)

For the record, the faces of disgust were actually mere surprise because of the cold. But everyone ate quite excitedly once they were prepared for this strange temperatured substance that the white man must eat for his regular subsistence...which if you know me, that is mostly accurate. But I can honestly say, this was a beautiful moment. Just being able to sit back and watch (while also eating) some of the very first children and elders of Mundri to have their first taste of ice cream. Maybe you had to be there, but at least you can appreciate the pictures!

Oh and also, I told Paul I was going to tell the people of Canada about this. He said, "Make sure you know that I greet them." So he greets you and he wants you to know that he is happy to taste this ice cream food of ours. Just so you know...

4 comments:

  1. So awesome and what fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah! How fun! Please give Paul a greeting from Canada for us!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This post was the best way I could have possibly begun my day :) Thanks for the story Adam! I could picture you in my office sharing that exact thing (although note that your imaginary self is no substitute for the real thing so I look forward to having you in my office sharing some stories, I may even have some ice cream for you ;)) -Lish

    ReplyDelete
  4. Praying that you finish strong Adam. God bless you BIG! Jane Gray

    ReplyDelete