Saturday, April 23, 2011

Rain, Best Friends, and Monkeys

Hmm, the English language is funny. I thought the plural of monkey would end in an "ies" because I am teaching in my level 6 and 8 English class that the "y" does that sorta thing. But then the little squiggly red line indicating a spelling error came up. Turns out we speak a pretty funky language.

Anyways, the title does apply. Stay with me folks. So I left on Thursday at 3:30 in the morning for a 5 and a half hour drive to Yambio--the capital of the state of Western Equatoria (where I am). The main purpose was to meet with the SSRRC which stands for some stuff (most of which I forget but I know its got the word "rehabilitation" in it somewhere). Basically they take care of the NGO stuff and organize stuff and...ya know, STUFF. Yup that's what they do.

So we went there, and then we didn't know which documents we needed. Turns out we didn't have a couple of them printed off. After a series of technological implosions, we didn't get them. Lucky us though, the head of the office is a guy that calls Paul "his best friend." He was pretty excited about our coming so it was all good, he hooked us up to still register. Then he continued to feed us 3 meals over the 20 hours and told me that the house is now MY home whenever I come back. Pretty sweet...but why exactly? Well, it also poured rain that night. Unlike us in the West, it seems that rain is a real blessing in Sudan. This guy told me that anytime it rains when there is a guest, then the guest is very special. Well lucky me! That's pretty sweet of you God, to hook us up like that. (Okay, the guy might have been a little tongue and cheek but he seemed flattered that I came on a night of some good African rain so I am gonna embrace it alright?).

Then after enjoying laughs with him and having his support to the "enth" degree for our project, we drove back. On the way back, we saw monkeys. They were running into the bush. Away from the car in front of us. I think this had to do with the fact that the car in front of us contained a minister of finance from Yambio who had a police man with him for security. The police man was really excited about having monkey for supper. So he used his rifle....

Now that you all have GASPED, you will be happy to know that he missed. So the monkeys lived happily ever after to eat the vegetables from the locals' gardens (another reason why they are less of a fan of monkeys than me). But nonetheless, I finally saw legit, exotic wildlife. Pretty fun.

That's all.
Prayer List
1) Praise we got hooked up by the best friend
2) Pray for our upcoming trip to Juba which includes conversations with possible donors and partnerships.

2 comments:

  1. Please hurry and come home - we haven't had rain since you left :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. i wish that were true (the comment above me)

    - bk

    ReplyDelete