Saturday, April 9, 2011

Mundri meets Canada

Today, Mundri encountered Canadian culture in a new way. This morning, four of the neighbourhood kids poked their head into my door. So I went to sit outside with them. As we sat there, talking was minimal. Communication is usually done in form of them touching my skin and then we smile and sometimes laugh too. But after a few minutes, I looked and found a stick. It had a slight hook on the bottom that reminded me of the stupid grass hockey sticks from elementary that I thought were so bizarre (I mean why do they only have a tiny blade anyways?)

So I got an idea. I told the kids that I wanted them to find sticks that looked like the one I had. So we went and found 4 more sticks for each of the kids. Then we found another couple short sticks to push into the dirt to stand upright to make goals. Then we found a mango. Yup, you got it, we played hockey in the yard of a church in the dirt. It was awesome. It also drew a small crowd of other children. I tried to tell them that this is called hockey. I don’t think they really cared about a name.

These are some pics of hockey. They aren't that good because I was in a hurry to get back and play but just so you can imagine a bit better. The last pic is just a cute kid name Wala that is always hanging around is quite jolly. I like him.

Prayer List:

1) Continue for the land and that all will go well.

2) Paul who is sick with something like Giardia and maybe Malaria.

2 comments: