Friday, April 15, 2011

Takin' Dad's Advice...mostly

Do you remember my April Fool's blog I made a couple weeks ago? I pretended that I saw a snake and scorpion and that I tried to beat them with my shoe. When my dad talked to me later about my hypothetical defense tactics, he informed me I had it wrong. I was not supposed to use a shoe, but I was supposed to use a long stick or something that could keep my distance from the dangerous creature in case it made a lunge at me.

So this morning I went to go use my shower and there was a scorpion in the shower. (For realz this time...promise!) Once I had recovered from my initial, superhero, manly reaction (because men like me don't get scared at all; we just flex our muscles), I thought quickly of the advice given to me.

But wait, I need a picture!


Once I had the picture taken, I looked for what stick could effectively kill a scorpion. Nothing really that great.

What would Dad do in this case? Hmm, okay something to keep my distance he says. Got it.

I went with Mundri's best resource--a mango. So long story short, it worked. But it was dad's advice that kept me focused during this moment. I know it wasn't a stick, but I hope you are proud.

Here is a picture of the scorpion next to the drain plug in its last moments. Some of you might be saying, "Adam, this is small. Why would you write a whole blog post about that measly thing?"
Well, to you I say, "Go watch the most recent Indiana Jones." In that movie, Harrison Ford informs us that "when it comes to scorpions, the bigger the better." Therefore, small = not good. So there.

I am teaching at school now. Here are some things to pray for with that:
1) Patience and cultural understanding for me.
2) Teachers for the school. They are way too few. I am teaching up to 3 separate classes at the same time. I get sweaty walking from class to class all the time.
3) An overall revival of the education system here.

4 comments:

  1. What would Dad do? He would hook up his nailer to his compressor and fire like the dickens!!!!! Sshhhh - don't tell your Dad I said that - he he he fave naybur

    ReplyDelete
  2. Way to go Adam. I'm sure your Sudanese friends are thinking of you as the great white hunter. I've heard of walking softly and carrying a big stick. You never know walk softly and carry a big mango might catch on. Don't forget to put a notch in your mango with every kill. Oh, and by the way, most hunters hunt for food. If you have an unsuccessful hunt you can eat your weapon.
    Your proud Dad!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your stories, Adam!!
    Good job on the scorpion! Your success is better than mine when I tried killing a tarantula with a broom.
    A. Miriam

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good one Ad. I`ve only found small spiders and lots of tiny ants in my shower. . .if I saw a scorpion I`m pretty sure I`d high tail it out of the bathroom and yell for one of the boys to kill it for me!

    ReplyDelete