Monday, March 28, 2011

Takin' a Break

So I am feeling like I am tired of giving the regular ol' update blog and how things are going. But first...I know many are wondering...preaching was good. I wasn't even really nervous.

Okay story time. This story is devoted to all you people who have been to Africa.

Since coming to Canada, I have heard Swahili, Arabic, and Moru on a consistent basis and then when you mix that with a few other tribal languages, I have been confused more than most of the time. I have also learned that English is a different dialect here than I am used to. I have learned to speak more of what Paul is always urging me to speak. (You remember Paul...he is my favourite person...the retired pastor I am working with. Also Africa's biggest jokster and class clown. I love it.) Anyways, Paul says I need to speak African English. You people who have been to Africa know what I am speaking of.

The problem with adapting to this English, is that it is ungrammatical according to the rules that I am told are correct. In fact, they are rather confusing if you are not used to the speech. I talked to my sister and brother-in-law yesterday on the phone, and it was actually an incredibly difficult thing to speak in the Canadian English that I grew to love once upon a time. I was trying in vain to not use the African accent that I have acquired.

So my warning to you Canadians back home is this: If you ask me how I am when I get home and I say, "I'm FINE!" in sort of surprisingly abrupt sounding tone...I am not angry really. I am just speaking African-Canadian-English.

Okay, that is all I have to say.
Pray for:
1) Actually just praise God. I have been really encouraged for the past 2 days. Life is good here.
2) Discernment. People all want help. I want to help, but I don't know the best way sometimes.
3) Better ability/motivation to learn the languages. It can be overwhelming but I genuinely want to learn.

Okay, I will update you more on the situation of what is going down with our work here next time. As for now, I have to go look at the gazillion stars that I can't see at home which is the coolest thing ever!

1 comment:

  1. Can totally relate! Was writing an email the other day and made reference to my head paining because no one ever says my head hurts, it is always "my head is paining me".
    And you are right, the stars are AMAZING!

    ReplyDelete