Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Mundri at last.

We made it! I heard that Mark (my bro) explained our adventure getting here, but we are here nonetheless. I have heard lots before coming here about the mango trees. Yup, it's true, from my house I am staying, I can see dozens of them at least. As for the people here...they are awesome.

Here is my favourite story so far here....
Yesterday I was sitting underneath the shade of the Mango tree (which is quite pleasant) when some kids walked by. So Mark and I motioned for them to come over. We went into the house and got a few chairs. That is how guests know they are welcome to stay and chill a while. So these boys sat but they didn't know English. So we just chilled until another group of boys came by and wondered what was up. So we told them to come over and I got some more chairs. Our place has about 15 chairs handy to use for this occasion. It took no time at all before there were none left. (And yes at this point, some girls came by too).

One of the boys who came by knew some English. Quickly I grabbed a book and jotted down some Moru phrases from him. One of these phrases was "Come here and sit." So I used this for any children coming by. Then I remembered about some things that were given to me by my dear friends before leaving Canada. I was given some things pill shaped thing that when you put it into water, a dinosaur comes out after a few minutes. This was quite a surprise to the children here and I pretended that the foamy dinosaur shape was alive when it lunged at the children. They lept back and then I started laughing. They did too. It was fun.

In total, I think there were probably 30-40 kids that came by throughout the time and many would come back with others and get me to show them the dinosaur show. ha, I loved it. I think I will do okay here. My worst experience here was the first night when my flip-flop broke. So I had to go to the market and buy the only pair of footwear that would fit my seemingly gigantic feet...a pair of used, fake, crocs. haha, I have never worn these before but I am learning to get used to them. I would say that if this is my "bad" experience, I am doing alright.

As for things with our mission here, we have been meeting with a local, retired pastor who has a vision similar to ours. We have already met and discussed a bit with some of the local leaders governing NGOs who seem to express excitement with our ideas. We will be meeting with local chiefs of the clans here in Mundri to see if they support this idea on Thursday afternoon. I know this sounds vague but I will give more details as we develop the project plan more and more.

Three things to pray for:
1) Open doors with the Chiefs the project.
2) More connections with kids to play with.
3) A cheap motorcycle to buy/borrow so I can get around in this place.

By the way, the meeting with the Chiefs will be held under one of our mango trees....awesome :)

4 comments:

  1. Sounds like the mango tree and the "chairs concept" were made just for you :) Love it!
    ~~Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. MANGOS! do you get to eat any? i am jealous! also i'm jealous that you're buying a moto! and making friends with african children! so rad!- rebecca

    ReplyDelete
  3. Seriously, so encouraged by your posts. I'm so excited for you to be there sitting under mango trees and making kids laugh. Your mom's right, it sounds totally perfect for you. Bless you as you help kick start the ministry. ~jules

    ReplyDelete
  4. I keep thinking about meeting under mango trees...I wish all my meetings were by mango trees (for many reasons of course) :) Continuing to pray for you! Miss you lots but love hearing about how God is using you!! -Ayesha ;)

    ReplyDelete